Sunday, February 17, 2008

A sunnny day in Bellingham!

The sun is shining brightly and the skies are an amazing blue!!! It seems as though Spring has arrived. That is exactly how people in Bellingham react to our first sunny, warmish day. Everyone goes outside, puts on their cropped pants, dusts off their gardening gloves and gets ready for Spring. It's quite disappointing when the sunshine is just a tease.....but for right now we are all playing outside, spreading our arms wide and letting the rays sink into our pale, white skin. It truly is beautiful!!!

Since the weather man forecasted Sun for Sunday Richard has been planning a short motorcycle ride. He's been so excited about it and I've been praying all week that he would be able to take one. I got a huge catch in my throat as I watched him come up the driveway on his bike....with this huge, beautiful grin on his face. A few short months ago I was so frightened that he wouldn't be able to ride his bike again......but today he didn't skip a beat. He was gone for about a half hour and he came in the house smelling of fresh air and leather. He is my miracle man for sure.

We went to see Dr. Congdon (the oncologist) on Friday. Richard had a particularly rough week with the side effects of the chemo. He seemed to really struggle with fatigue and cold chills. He spent alot of time resting.....and also talked alot about how to do this chemo thing while still maintaining some control and normalcy.

I chose to stay close to home during the evenings and even canceled my journaling class. He didn't really need me....but the side effects, at times feel huge. There's absolutely nothing I can do but remain close by, trying to feed him, getting water, blankets, and just being there if he wants to talk. Those are the moments I treasure....the times we just talk. I will never tire of our conversations....about creating our new normal, about our plans for the future, about house projects, about how to cope, etc. Those times are when I know we are a true partnership.

We continue to feel the prayers and thoughts of so many people. Thank you for thinking of us.

Love Sherri

1 comment:

Judy Merrill-Smith said...

I love the smell of fresh air on people! So glad to hear Richard can enjoy a ride in the sunshine.