Monday, December 22, 2008

Oncologist's report

We had beautiful drive back from Everett this afternoon. The way the snow hangs on the trees is just so beautiful! It was a nice ending to a difficult day. My Oncologist, Dr. Congdon after reading the MRI report, and going over the MRI scan with us, admitted that with all the new spread of the cancer, our course of chemotherapy does not seem to be working and that he feels it is time to weigh quality of life against quantity. There is another chemo agent that has a low (5%) success rate, that I will try if my insurance will cover it. It has a low incidence of side effects, so should not have too much effect on my quality of life. Even with the side effects I have had, I feel my quality of life has been good. Mostly due to my wonderful family and friends who continue to encourage and support me in this strange journey. I feel that stopping chemotherapy would be like just giving up on fighting this. I am definitely not at that point. Every extra day that I have left in this life, hearing the "I Love you's", and seeing your smiling faces is worth fighting for!

" All this joy, all this sorrow, all this promise, all this pain. Such is life, such is being, such is spirit, such is love."

From John Denver's song, "This Joy"

With love to ALL!, Richard

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is nothing more to say than 'We love YOU both so very much, Richard and Sherri!'

Still in this fight with you.

*hugs*
Joanne and Kevin

Anonymous said...

Hi Rick
Sorry to hear bout the news. I wondered with the recent sequelae that we were in for a road-bump.:( There are 5 GBM clinical trials recruiting in Washington State (clinicaltrials.gov. Couple of them are Phase II/III and may be applicable to you. Also consider this after your next chemo or in lieu of this chemo. At least the insurance doesnt need to say ok for experimental clinical trials!:)
*hugs*

Grandma Lise said...

The snow is beautiful. I think what I love most about it is how it slows us all down. I can't remember a time when it's stayed this long. And what a beautiful quote. It brought tears to my eyes. Thanks Richard.

Holding you both close to my heart.

Lisa P.

Anonymous said...

Sending you both love and strength from Chicago, where we are also buried in snow. Big hugs. Big compassion. Big gratitude for your inspiring bravery, honesty and love in the way you're both choosing to walk this difficult walk together, always together. xoxoxox Arlene

Grandma Lise said...

Dear Richard and Sherri,

After having visited your blog yesterday, Tom and I sat and reflected on the calming affect of snow and on the value of hope.

Upon my arrival at work at Whatcom County, I found a small gift bag in my work area. I rarely receive gifts and opened it in the kitchen as I made my afternoon tea.

In it was a beautiful glass and metal ornament with beading made by a local artist. Mixed in with the beads was a silver charm, an awareness ribbon. As I looked closer, I discovered that it was inscribed with the word "hope". I was stunned, then I began to cry as I reflected on both your battle and my boss' battle with cancer this past year and the incredible timeliness of the gift.

This morning, I did some research and learned that the Silver Ribbon Campaign for the Brain began in 1993 and that the ribbon is worn to promote public awareness of the need for support of people with brain disorders and disabilities.

I think this ornament was meant for you. I am putting it in the mail to you today.

Lisa P.

Suzie said...

There seems so little to say except that I love you both and continue to keep you both in my prayers that you will both have peace through this and things will turn around for you both. Love you, Suzie

Anonymous said...

[url=http://kfarbair.com][img]http://www.kfarbair.com/_images/_photos/photo_big7.jpg[/img][/url]

בית מלון [url=http://www.kfarbair.com]כפר בעיר[/url] - [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/about.html]חדרים[/url] גדולים אנו מספקים שירותי אירוח מיוחדים גם ישנו במקום שירות חדרים המכיל [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/eng/index.html]ארוחות רומנטיות[/url] במחירים מיוחדים אשר יוגשו ישירות לחדרכם!

לפרטים נוספים נא לפנות לעמוד המלון - [url=http://kfarbair.com]כפר בעיר[/url] [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/contact.html][img]http://www.kfarbair.com/_images/apixel.gif[/img][/url]