Wednesday, October 29, 2008

A toothy kind of day!!!

Hello my beautiful friends!!!!

You would think that someone who has had three craniotomies and two chemotherapy regimes in the past year would be safe from anything else bad that lurks in the world....but my poor Richard has a horrible tooth ache and I just can't believe it!!!! Dentists aren't real excited about working on people who are on chemotherapy....because of how susceptible they are to infection....but...... On Monday when we were down in Everett for Richard's chemotherapy he spoke to his doctor (yes, Dr. Congdon-no not Condom) about his suspicion that he had a bad tooth. Dr. Congdon gave him the go ahead to see a dentist since his blood work looks so good (his white blood cell count is normal!!!!). I immediately called our dentist and she saw us today (fnally...since the pain seemed to be getting worse daily). After x-rays and an exam we've decided to pull one tooth (since it already has had a root canal and a crown) and fill a big cavity on an adjacent tooth. YUK!!!! So tomorrow we are seeing an oral surgeon and after the tooth is pulled and somewhat healed then our dentist will take care of the cavity.

It's such an amazingly normal thing to happen to someone our age (don't you hate that!!!) but I really think that people who are dealing with cancer, especially brain cancer, should be exempt from needing dental work at all. I mean a tooth ache happens in his head....close to his blessed brain....and I ask you how much more can one little head handle?

What I must tell you is how sweet Richard was with all the staff at the dentist office. He just shines...glows....and you can tell that people see his specialness immediately. Whenever he meets someone he gently takes their hand and just holds it and then really looks at them. I stand back and just watch. People, who are usually so busy and hustling around, just stop and look at him....it seems like a pause in time. I am awed by his spirit and of how he envelops people in his warmth. He is such a blessing to so many.....even so many who he hasn't met yet.

Sometimes I wonder how such a beautiful man came into my life. I have to admit....initially I didn't see the glow...but I had a yearning to keep seeing him....that was clear to me....very clear. As time has gone on I have slowly learned of his many gifts. When we decided to live togather I knew that there were many differences between us...but I sensed and had experienced that with him beside me I could truly discover "my best self". It was a clear expectation that we both were done making relationship mistakes.....we were sure of that. I knew that Richard truly loved me and that I truly loved him.

Cancer has deepened my awareness of the miracle that "he and I" are. Cancer has given me the moments to stop and just watch. It has taught me to be quiet...to listen...and to observe. These have been struggles for me before...now they are my blessings. Richard is truly my teacher. Watching him elegantly travel through the maze of serious illness has been an awesome experience. I watch people pause....in his genuine warmth. It's really beautiful....really, really beautiful.

I rubbed his head today as we waited for the dentist to come in. He closed his eyes and leaned into my arm and just let me touch him. I never knew that that would be enough....that that few moments could speak volumes in my heart....and that that would be love. I am so blessed.

Blessings to all of you,

Sherri

1 comment:

deb did it said...

What a beautiful moment, as he leans into your fold. The immense love you both feel for each other is obvious, and I can feel it all the way down in Texas!!