Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day Richard!!!

I woke up today thinking of Richard and of Father's Day. He loved Father's Day because that is when his children were always around him. It was a tradition that they would come over for breakfast and we would all have peanut butter pancakes and eggs. Richard and his kids loved peanut butter pancakes. Initially, I was skeptical but as the years went on I began to enjoy them too. It's one of those meals that has a very pungent odor.....and either the smell can make you sick or you have to be eating right along with everyone else. I was pleasantly surprized at how yummy the combination of peanut butter, pancake and syrup are!!!! It became one of my favorites too!

Richard's primary role in his lifetime was that of "Father". He loved being a Dad. He loved doing things for his children. And they loved being around him. I miss that activity and commotion that was always part of our household. We always laughed and laughed and laughed....but also had some very deep, meaningful discussions.

That is one of the adjustments I am making in my life without Richard. It is natural and something I expected....but I miss the gathering of all the kids and their friends here at our home. It was so fun listening to them and being part of their story telling. Sometimes I would just sit and watch Richard glow in their presence. He was a proud Father and I believe that his children knew this. His pride and pure love made visiting him so attractive.

There are so many changes now, yet I had a year and a half to anticipate them and I think I thought about this adjustment with a realistic mind. It isn't easy...but I get most of the changes. I can't say I like them all....but I get why they naturally happen. Even though I have wonderful relationships with both of Richard's children...the fact remains....I am a step-Mother who was married to their Father. I love them very much and they love me....but without their Dad here it is very different for all of us. It's almost like the main attraction has left the building.

It's a beautiful day here....sunny but not too hot. Emily and Adam took Mali on a hike and my friend Cheryl and I took Jazzy on a two hour walk. Both dogs are resting now in pure happiness and contentment. I am glad that we all got exercise. Now I am off to do my Sunday chores.......new chores that have become mine since Richard has been gone.....mainly.....the world of the garbage and re-cycling. That is a huge job.

Keeping everyone in my thoughts and prayers.

Blessings, Sherri

1 comment:

deb did it said...

such a lovely post Sherri. I know Richard is smiling as he watches you struggle with those bulky recycle bins! Carry on my friend, carry on!