Monday, February 9, 2009

What day is it?

Richard continues to stay with us....after many days of a grueling fight. His heart is strong...but he is growing so very weary. We gather around him, as a family, tending to his needs and taking care of one another. The depth of sorrow is intense...deeper than any of us imagined. But we are a strong force....insuring that Richard is comfortable and full of peace.

Today, David, our blessed Hospice Nurse, had to remove Richard's wedding ring because his hands are swelling. My heart broke as I sobbed with tears from my deepest, darkest place. I ran from the room and Dana found me, then lifted me from the floor and held me quietly, reminding me that we were all going to make it through this nightmare....somehow....together. He assured me that Pam had placed the ring on a special necklace that Richard has been wearing around his neck.

This afternoon I went to give Richard a kiss on his forehead......time stopped for me.....as I noticed that my beautiful husband had his hands around his necklace...holding his wedding ring in his beautiful fingers.

Blessings and miracles continue to surround us.

Tenderly,

Sherri

6 comments:

YC Art said...

What a great and beautiful gift Richard was able to give you--I so admire you for being so in tune with all of the experiences--wonderful & horrible. I continue to pray for the strenghth you need for each moment & for Richards comfort. You are both loved

Anonymous said...

I love the tender image of Richard holding on to his ring on a necklace. I bet it brings him comfort. It is good to hear that along with caring for Richard, you all are caring for one another. When one falls, another can pick him or her up; and the favor is returned in kind.

With so much love for you,
Trueda

deb did it said...

Richard is and always will "keep it precious" and you will always know that he holds you near. love, Deb

Suzie said...

I hold you all so dearly and tenderly in my prayers and heart.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing the most precious moments of your life. We love you both and know that you and the family are gathering strength and courage from each other to continue on this path. You are all amazing, your dignity and grace shine through the difficult moments.

Blessings, Janelle and Jack

Helen Campbell said...

The depth of love transcends all things.
We continue to keep you all in our thoughts and prayers.
Helen & John