Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Chemo News!!!


We've had beautiful snow this week!!! But before it hit it was bitterly cold. On Saturday we took the dogs out for a walk and we all had a blast. Richard throws the ball for them and they run back and forth about 100 times, never tiring of the chase. Mali, of course, is on the constant hunt for water and when she finds it she just wallows in it. At one point she layed in this huge mud puddle and she was totally covered with brown, gooey mud. On our way back to our house she took a much
needed swim in the creek and got all cleaned off. I think you can

see how cold Richard was. That little bald head of his loses alot of heat. He was a trooper though. He and I walked about 2 miles. The dogs must have walked about 10. Oh to have their energy.

The second picture was of a fairy place. I think we probably interrupted some fairy loving because it was still warm. Doesn't it look cozy? I love finding these little fairy places in the forests of the Pacific Northwest. It's quite magical! (Come on everyone; let me have my little fantasies!!!! Richard plays along with me. I love that about him.)

Richard has been off of his chemo since Saturday; however I believe that the side effects have been more troublesome as the week has gone on. The fatigue is bad and very uncomfortable for himn. He had stopped taking the anti-nausea medication because he thought that without the chemo he wouldn't need it.....but it has become obvious that the chemo is still in his system because he is experiencing some nausea. Today we met with the clinical trial coordinator (Cheryl...our Angel). At the end of every 21 day round of chemo Richard will meet with her and fill out a questionaire regarding how the chemo is affecting his daily living. I think our talk was very beneficial because Cheryl was able to spend alot of time talking about Richard's concerns and answering his questions.

They, of course, think Richard is amazing (I could have told them that). They are amazed that he is able to work as much as he is; however can see that that is about all he is able to do right now and she expressed concern that he may be working too much. I believe that after their discussion today Richard will be looking at his work situation to see if he can cut back a little. He is very tired and has little energy for those things that he knows are good for him and that he loves (physical exercise, tai chi, seeing friends and family, messing around in his "he-barn" etc.). I anticipate that he will be constantly reviewing and adjusting his work schedule as he feels he should. He's so good at taking care of himself.

According to the clinical trial's protocols Richard will be INCREASING his chemo this month to a dose that he will stay on for the remaining five months. I'm not sure if he and I are happy about this. I think we're cautiously happy...but worry that the side effects may get worse. We believe that he is so strong and that he's doing everything right. We believe that the "icky stuff" will be manageable.

In other news, I've started teaching again.....and that feels wonderful. I believe, strongly, in the power of creativity in people's lives. I feel so honored that I get to help people learn to play with images, colors and textures. I literally get to watch people's spirits soar with expression. It is so fun!!!!

I hope all is well with everyone. Your warmth, love, thoughts and prayers are so appreciated. We love you all!!! Be happy and healthy!!!!

Love Sherri

1 comment:

Tracie Lyn Huskamp said...

OH MY GOSH... YEAH!!!!!... I could NOT get to my
computer fast enough..

YOUR WONDERFUL SURPRISE..ARRIVED TODAY... and let me
tell you that the padded envelope is quite worse for
wear. One side was taped with a form letter
note/sticker on the package from the postal service.

There was a BEAUTIFUL Bracelet inside along with your
letter... I HOPE that was all there was suppose to be
in the package??

SHERRI.. THANK YOU ... it REALLY REALLY!!! Brightened
my day

BIG XO!

I tried sending an email but it keeps bouncing back so I hope you get this comment!!!

Thinking of you and Richard... wishing you both days filled with peace and light!