Sunday, June 22, 2008

Please send Richard good thoughts!!!!

I feel badly that I haven't kept everyone up to date during this past week.....but things have been very difficult....and time has been in short supply. I will tell you our story now....and apologize right away for how choppy it all may come out.

After our wonderful Father's Day I noticed that Richard started looking more tired and seemed very lethargic. On Monday I watched him very closely...it's funny....at first I always think I'm the one that is going crazy or that my artistic, dramatic spirit is taking over and making really big things out of nothing...but he definately seemed "far away". He went to bed very early that evening and as I tucked him in he told me that he just didn't feel right. (Oh Great....he was noticing it too!!!) In the morning, when he still seemed to be having a difficult time waking up and began slurring his speech a little...I called the surgeon's office and spoke to one of his assistants. We had an appointment in Seattle on Wednesday to see the infectious disease doctor and so they told me to bring Richard earlier in the morning and they would check him out.

Emily went with us...and Richard slept all the way down. The walk from the garage to the doctor's office seemed like forever. We saw the surgeon's assistant, she asked her one million questions and Emily and I tried to describe to her what our concerns were. Richard was barely talking...other then to say he just needed to sleep. She said she would talk to the surgeon and that he may want to take an MRI and that she would call us on our cell phones if he wanted to do a scan that day. I left the office feeling sort of stupid....and Emily was angry and frustrated.

Dana met us at the Infectious Disease doctor's appointment and as we were waiting for the doctor Richard again fell asleep and was totally disengaged with our conversations. The kids were scared and I was incredibly anxious. When we finally saw the doctor I told him that I needed an advocate and that I felt like something horrible was going on with Richard. Richard tried to talk to him but it was obvious that he was struggling. Dr. Cairins made some calls and within 15 minutes we were back at the surgeon's office getting some attention.

The minute Dr. Foltz saw him he suggested that Rick stay overnight and that they take an immediate MRI and so some bloodwork to determine what was going on. To make a very long story a little shorter....basically after running all the tests....we were told the next morning that Richard's tumor had gotten much bigger and that surgery, at this point was not an option because of one arm of the tumor that reaches into a critical area for motor movement. After an examination the doctor determined that the tumor had already grown into the vision area of the brain and that Rick's left peripheal vision was totally gone. The symptoms that Richard was experiencing was from the swelling around this mass and the doctor began Richard immediately on steroids that would help with the swelling.

Later that day Dr. Foltz met with Richard, Pam (his wonderful sister) and I and it was decided that the next day (Friday) we would go to our oncologist in Everett and begin Avastin/CPT 11 (a chemo used typically for colon cancers...but that have recently been used with great success for treatment of breast and brain cancer) immediately. We were scheduled to begin that chemo in early July beause of the staph infection.....but the infection looked like it was under control and the doctors were suggesting that we not wait.

We were all devastated. I really can't even begin to describe how we were feeling...mainly numb and in deep shock. None of us expected this sort of vicious attack from this cancer and we were totally shocked. Pam and I moved into our efficient mode and contacted family and shared the grim news. Richard got pumped full of the mighty steroids which almost immediately made him feel better. We sat and waited for the next attack to begin.

Unfortunately when we arrived at our oncologist's office in Everett we were met with the horrible news that our insurance company had not OK'd the Avastin/CPT 11 treatment. Dr. Congdon explained that even he had called our insurance companies medical director but no one was calling them back. Again....another moment of total devastation and let down. I immediately called Richard's work and told them about our dilema and they began attacking from their end while Dr. Condon's office continued their attack. Meanwhile Richard, Pam and I got our "chemotherapy counseling" and "infusion room" tour and Richard got yet more blood work taken care of. Dr. Congdon scheduled Richard for having his port-a-cath (a permanent port put into a large vein near his heart that will make it so Richard doesn't need to be poked every time they need blood or everytime they need to give him anything...the vein is also big enough and strong enough to handle the toxicity of the chemo he'll be getting) put in early Monday morning and then his first round of chemotherapy will happen that afternoon. As we left Dr. Congdon's office....Richard's work called and his boss had spoken to the owner of the medical insurance company and everything was OK'd and the doctor was being notified. Alleluia!!!!

Phew....What a story......and phew what a nightmare for my poor husband. We still can't believe that this is happening. I don't know what we've been thinking but basically I think we've been working so hard to "beat" the statistics of GBM cancer that we NEVER allowed our minds to really go there and stay with the negative thoughts for very long. It seems like now......we are being forced to look at the vicious strength of this disease and raise the fight even higher than we have been. Richard and I are prepared to continue fighting with as much resolve and energy as possible. We are also so committed to making each moment full with attention and being. It is time....time for us to gather our family and friends around us and to remember all the many blessings that touch us throughout our days.

This weekend has been miraculous. Friday night Emily and Jason came over and we sat and hugged and cried and laughed and then hugged and cried and held hands and talked, talked, talked. It was hard but even hard has it's gracious parts and those are to be treasured. I watched my step-daughter grow that night....as she described her feelings, her fears, her love for her Dad. It was beautiful.

Yesterday we had a band of angels show up to do yard work with us. Oh my gosh!!!! In just a few hours our yard was transformed into the most beautiful place for Richard and I to look out on. What a wonderful gift for us!!!! It was amazing to just be surrounded by such love and giving. It felt so awesome. Thank you so much!!!

Wendy.....our beautiful friend....brought us many yummy meals (she has been providing food since this whole thing began) for our freezer. Cooking has been so hard for me (I don't get why.....but even boiling water seems challenging at this point). Wendy has always provided us with yummy treats to eat. She is amazing....and a fantastic cook.

Richard's Dad, Leo, is here now. He will take us to Everett in the morning and will come home with us tomorrow afternoon to help me with Richard. He is a dear man. Richard's Mom, Fran,will continue to do pet sitting while we're gone. Both of these people are in so much pain watching their son struggle. They have supported us so perfectly. The love and tenderness that they have approached this crisis with is beautiful to watch.

Please send Richard thoughts of strength and healing. He is strong....but he is sososo tired. He needs all of us joinging hands and gathering around him....covering him with healing wishes. I feel you all out there...your energy has held me up....and has provided me with a calm place to rest. Thank you!!!!

Blessings,

Sherri

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sherri & Richard,

Love, prayers and healing light, all the way from Texas. May the Angels hold you every step of the way. Deb

Trueda said...

Sherri,

Oh, my dear friend- what a trying and devastating week you guys have had! You definitely have my prayers and thoughts for strength (for both of you) and healing going your way. Give me a call if you ever feel like it would help; though, it sounds like you have wonderful support up there in Bellingham.

hugs,
Trueda

Anonymous said...

Sherri and Richard,
While I've been out of touch with you both due to changes in Dad's condition, you're never far from my thoughts or prayers....Stay strong my friends!

love you both
Joanne

Suzie said...

My prayers and constant thoughts are with you both. You are both so very special and loved.

Grandma Lise said...

Thinking of you both today and every day. Wishing for you both continued strength.

Lisa P.

Anonymous said...

Sherri and Richard,
You are so incredible and such an inspiration to me. My thoughts and prayers are with you both for healing and strength.
Helen

Judy Merrill-Smith said...

You are both in my prayers, and I am requesting group prayer for you, too. Blessings!

sunshine glynn said...

Sherri, Karen has just shared your blog with me and I am so saddend to hear that Richard has worsened. You are certainly in my thoughts and prayers. with love, sunshine

Anonymous said...

My prayers and thoughts are with you and the hope that Gods hands hold yours through this scary unexpected part of your journey, hold you up when your strength wanes and reminds you that you are not alone in the darkest of nights.

Lisa A.

Addicted to Beadz said...

Sherri & Richard,

You don't know me, but I've been following your journey along. I found your site through BT Caregivers several months ago.

My sister is fighting this nasty cancer also.

Richard, I can only imagine with what you have been through just in the last couple of months how very tired you are. I'm praying God will give you the strength that you need to continue fighting.

2 Corinthians 12:9
9 But he said to me, "My grace is enough for you. When you are weak, my power is made perfect in you." So I am very happy to brag about my weaknesses. Then Christ's power can live in me."

II Corinthians 1:3-5(NIV)

“Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows.

Please know that there are people everywhere checking on you and hoping and wishing the very best. We ask God to give you and Sherri along with all of your family the strength to continue fighting; Peace that you may rest in when the burden is too heavy.

Just think about the Poem "Footprints" When our burdens our too heavy, it is then that our Father in heaven will carry us to help us through our circumstances.

Many prayers.

Unknown said...

Dear Sherri, Richard and Family,

I wish I could be there with you all to lend a hand. Distance keeps that from happening. Please do know that even though I have not written in your blog before, that I have been sending positive thoughts your way. Richard is a very old friend and has always been close to my heart. Richard, you have always been such a kind and gentle human that who could ever forget you?
After many years I got in touch with Richard in October and he gave me the link to your blog and I have checked in on you all weekly, since.
Just thought I would let you know that someone in Maine cares very much!
Take Care-Kim

Heather, paperfollies.typepad.com said...

Sending love and peace and strength to you.
XO
Heather

Anonymous said...

Richard and Sherri, Sending warms hugs, thoughts and energy your way. I am stunned to say the least, will write more later as I comprehend this devastating news. Our men our tough cookies. Maintain a sense of hope and peace that is being provided from our spiritual provider. Much love many hugs, Michele

Anonymous said...

You are so surrounded by love up there in WA, and remember that those of us out of state are sending our love to you too.

Mary Stanley said...

Sherri and Richard,
You have touched so many by your truth,honesty and love. I join the circle of love that surrounds you and send all good wishes to you both.
Much love ...
Mary