Sunday, January 4, 2009

Hello Friends!

I find myself putting off posting because I don't know exactly what to say. It's been a very tough few weeks....I am sososo tired and I am so heartbroken. I want to be positive and upbeat...but I just can't be. I'm sorry that I have to come here with such a heavy heart...but I know that many of you want an update. I haven't found a chunk of time where I am breathing freely; where I can share hope and a positive spirit. I never, in my wildest dreams, thought that we would be at this place so soon...but I guess that this is an important part of the journey. When we started this experience I promised Richard that I would be faithful to this blog....I don't think I ever imagined that the time would come when it would become so difficult to share, with honesty, what this part of a very challenging road.

Richard had his first session of chemotherapy on Monday, December 29th. The infusion itself went smoothly. We reaffirmed with our doctor our desire to fight this monster called glioblastoma. Richard clearly stated that each additional day with his family and friends is worth this chemo regime. I agree totally with him. I am positive we are doing the right thing.

Richard continues to seem very weak physically. I don't know if it is the new chemo or if it is the tumor profression. I feel so powerless and frustrated at times. I can't make any of this better and my heart aches for him. He is in bed most of the day...He gets up for a while but tires quickly and needs to return to the comfort of laying down. He is shuffling badly and is having to have help getting up and down from a laying or sitting position. The doctor suggested that we get a walker for him (that was a hard day for all of us) and usually I am either walking with him or he is using his walker to move from one place to another. His speech is much quieter and is slurred...usually worse when he is tired. I think he is often confused...and when he is very tired he seems to slip into his own world. He often seems so far away.

He and I are handling the physical part without any problem. But for me the most difficult time is when I can't seem to reach him and when I realize that our partnership is changing rapidly. I get so frightened...almost panicky....eventhough I feel as though I have been prepared for this period in this journey....I never anticipated how badly it would hurt. I never knew I had so many tears to shed. I never knew how frantic I could feel...so powerless to change what is happening. And....sadly....I feel so alone. Eventhough we have so much support...no one can possibly understand my anguish unless they have traveled a road where they have lost a loved one.

Richard seems at peace with all that is happening. He has gotten to the point of total acceptance...his only distress that is expressed is when he sees me or his children struggling with our sadness. I always assure him that sadness is OK and that we are OK...and most importantly.....we will be OK. Struggling and sadness is a huge part of this journey and its important to let it happen. We are all learning to grieve and it is an essential lesson. Once we talk for a while he calms down and relaxes again. He continues to tell us, over and over again, that he is not frightened...and that he is giving the chemo space to work and yet accepting the seriousness of where his disease is at. He continues to be our hero in so many ways. His courage is absolutely amazing and gives us all such pride. His example gives us all such strength.

I want you all to know that eventhough it is easy to look into the future, to worry and fret....We are all still focusing on living each moment to the fullest and remembering the preciousness of this time together. Our home is so full of love...everyone talks about how "homey and warm" it feels....we hug everyone, all of us sit close together and touch...hold hands, listen intently and look into each others eyes, take time to let our breaths come together in a strong rhythym. We laugh and we cry...but in an amazing way...it feels so real....and we all know that something special is happening here....our job has become one of witnessing.....and often standing in awe.

I have come to learn and believe that at those times when Richard feels so far away from me I am watching a "holy time" for him. I've read that it is at these times that people who are seriously ill are surrounded by spiritual guides or angels who are assisting them in their preparation to transition from this world to another. These guides are there to assure and comfort and to give understanding to something that is so difficult to grasp in our earthly world. This explanation has helped me to let this time between us just "be" and eventhough it is so hard....I fight trying to bring him back to a place of relating to me. It is horribly sad for me...but at the same time I find myself sitting in awe...wishing I could join him but knowing that this part of the journey is only for him...a very private time of comfort and faith.

One more thing....At night I find myself laying very close to Richard....spooning....with either my arm around him or with his arm around me, especially when we first go to sleep. I take time to feel the way our bodies fit perfectly together and I always hold his beautiful hand. I feel his breath and his warmth and I see us surrounded in a glowing light. My heart is full at these times and I often have tears in my eyes. I lay there for a long time...silently and perfectly still...soaking in these intense moments. I truly feel so horribly sad and frightened when my heart knows in such a deep way that laying with my beautiful husband will not go on forever. I'm already aching with the anticipation of not being held by him, It is such a deep loss..I didn't know I could "feel" so intently.

There's so many other things I should mention.....but for now this is enough. I must go and try to sleep. Thank you for all the wonderful support. We hold you all very close.

Blessinngs,

Sherri

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Sherri, you are so right, only someone who has gone through what your family is going through could truly understand. I can only imagine the severity of your pain. My heart aches for you. Richard has always been such a wonderful, kind and loving person. I am so happy that you found each other and both have the love of your life! I never met you but feel from this blog that I have gotten to know you. I have had the privelage to know Richard and to know that he truly deserves to have all the love that you give him. Take care!

Grandma Lise said...

Our hearts are grieving with you Sherri. We're here.

Lisa P.

Anonymous said...

Sherri,

Another beautifully honest entry. I often think how strange, but marvelous, it is that such love and holy moments can be intertwined into such pain and sadness.

Holding you all close in my heart,
Trueda

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to you, Sherri, as we share in these difficult days ahead. I'm reminded of quote I came across recently by John Vance Cheney, 'The soul would have no rainbows had the eyes no tears.'

Thinking of you today, my dear friend, know I'm here only a phone call away if you just need to talk.

love you all
Joanne and Kevin

Anonymous said...

i know that none of us are walking in your shoes.. and so none of us truly "get it"....

oh, do i understand that feeling, that reality....

but you are so much in our hearts, both of you are, cradled in our love, held in our hearts....

but i undertand that when the pain.. when the sense of loss is too much, that it can be impossible to let that support in....

you are also at a new stage, and when you are ready to step up to it, you will...

you will know what you need to know, when you need to know it... and will move on when you are ready...

trust that..... trust the love and trust the path--

and know that you both are truly loved.....

Pam said...

When Janae was so ill she would talk to me about the angels surrounding her. I remember when she would assure me that "Sara" would take care of her when she got to heaven. Sara is J's main angel. Given the limitations of her intellect, it was astounding to me that my daughter had such a depth of spiritual understanding for the angelic pressence guiding her.

I have not lost a loved one, yet I have experienced a great grief in my life as I have been allowed the privilege of experiencing Janae's life journey. Many times I have approached the throne of God in vocal anguish. Every time, God has been faithful to ease me of my fears and cover me with a spiritual covering of love. God is real. God is faithful.

If only I could take some of the pain away I would. Grief is not for sissies. Just know that I am praying that God will cover your breaking heart with love. Reach your hands up as if you are a toddler reaching for a parent's hand. Fall into the spiritual arms of God.

Anonymous said...

Sherri,
Words cannot express nor understand what you are going through...all I know is that I love you and am in awe at how you can share your feelings with us at such a difficult time. Just remember the angel "With Love" and that I'm there with all of you in spirit. Sean gave me a bookmark at a difficult time for me....it says "Learn from yesterday,live for today, hope for tomorrow" (Orison Swett Marden)...make all those todays beautiful ones and don't ever forget to hope.

Lisa A.