Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Third Chemo Session!

Yesterday Richard had his chemo and he did great! We drove ourselves down and back and he did a great job. We brought some of our favorite CDs and were moved by the music and the views. We were reminded of the fact that we live in such a beautiful spot. During our drives back and forth I focus on that. It helps the time go by.

Dr. Congdon (no not condom....you silly) was so excited regarding how good Richard looked and by Richard's news that ALL his vision is back and perfect!!! That is our miracle right now....and hopefully a huge sign that that nasty tumor is shrinking, shrinking, shrinking!!!! The next MRI will be after Richard's next chemotherapy. Waiting for that is always a little nerve racking...but we believe that the tumor is loosing this battle....for sure!!!!!

Here is a picture of Richard during his chemotherapy. It's a huge place and very busy. We always sit by the window and get to watch a ball field down below and then also have a view of the Cascades. They do everything to make both of us very comfortable. We're getting amazingly good at the whole process. It takes about four hours total and we've learned what acitivities keep us busy....me....reading and crossword puzzles....Rick....reading and writing in his tumor timer.

Richard's tumor timer is a daytimer that his sister and I bought him during the first week of his diagnosis and it became known as his TUMOR TIMER. Since, at times, confusion is part of this whole journey....the tumor timer helps him keep EVERYTHING straight. He has worked for months to get it perfect....so that it covers all his needs (Phew!!!) He has incorporated a journal into it and writes often. I, mistakenly bought him a cool package of various sized sticky notes and the man is sososososo happy!!!! Those are meticuously glued into his timer. I find notes all over the house and special love notes in my own daytimer....but he is very busy making lists and more lists and more lists!!!! Grocery lists, to-do lists for me, for him, for us, project lists, etc....I never knew one person could have so many lists in his brain....and he doesn't even have a whole brain. It's just another example of Richard's giftedness!!!! I don't know what will happen if he ever looses the tumor timer. It will be a very sad day. I think some may say that he's a little obssessed with it...but I love it...and it really has helped both of us. Sometimes I have to giggle when I see both of our day timers laying side by side. They seem like very good friends.....maybe they're lovers....???? OK....now I've gone too far!!!!!

Yesterday we did find out that Richard's white blood cell count was low (a pretty common side effect of the chemo). It was so low that the doctor ordered an injection, to be given the day after chemo, that will spur the bone marrow to produce more white blood cells. OMG...we picked the medicine up today and we found out that it costs $3,900 an injection!!!!! Is that not absurd???? As we walked home from the store I really hung onto the package. I felt like I was carrying gold!!! He's already given himself the injection...now we wait for the side effects...... Apparently the marrow can grow at such a fast rate that his bones may ache pretty severly. YUK!!! My poor husband....what an amazing man.
After chemo we went to Pam and Scott's house for a delicious dinner. Pam is quite a cook. She always provides great meals and then a wonderful dessert!!!! We love our time with them. They have been so supportive. I feel very blessed to have them in my life. Richard truly loves his sister. It's awesome to watch and feel their closeness. I love it when we can all get together.

Im also including a picture of our new swing. Richard and I put the 1,000 pieces together this weekend and we had a blast. We are such a great team!!!! We actually had moments hooked together (maybe 15 or so) where we forgot about Richard being sick. It was amazing! I've teased him that maybe we should get a couple huge lego projects so that we could put them together to give our minds a rest!!!! Just kidding...TOTALLY kidding! Anyway...the swing looks great and I love just sitting in our yard swinging back and forth. It's so relaxing.

Well....I guess that's it!!! We're doing great! We walked 2 miles today, at a fairly peppy pace and Richard felt great! I'm so relieved that he is slowly feeling stronger. The doctor, yesterday, reminded Richard that healing is really hard work. For the first time he got no argument from Rick. We are focusing on our moments together......living life fully and with passion. Thank you EVERYONE for thinking about us.

We love you sosososo much!

Blessings,

Sherri

3 comments:

Buteoj said...

Sher and Richard: sending love and hugs, banish that bad tumor stuff, drink up all that universe, earth, and starry goodness out there. love, love love you guys...karen and chris

Addicted to Beadz said...

Richard and Sherri,

I came over here today to check on you. I'm thrilled that you are doing well. Its always great when I get to witness this! You can see God's hand in your lives.

Blessings!
Cheryl

Anonymous said...

Great work.