Saturday, July 5, 2008

What Will Make Him Happy?

Richard and I have had a wonderful weekend. We've done very little actually...but every moment, even the bad ones, have seemed to be wrapped in gold. Friday I asked Richard what would make him happy....He sat for a moment and then gave me a verbal list. I was determined to make those few simples requests happen for him.....and it was fun watching his beautiful face smile with joy as each little "event" happened.

He wanted a cheese omelet and hashbrowns for one of our breakfasts. Yesterday my Mom joined us and we went out for a yummy meal! The hashbrowns were perfect and the omelet was stuffed with lots of cheese and mushrooms. To top it off the waitress suggested that we try their bisquits instead of toast. OMG!!!!! They were delicious!!!!! Richard almost squealed when she brought him marionberry jam.

He wanted, badly, to feel well enough so that he could ride his "big man" riding lawn mower and mow his own lawn. I was really nervous about this request. He has been so weak...I just really didn't think we were going to be able to pull this off. But I hand mowed all the tight spots and the front yard and Richard was able to mow the rest on his riding mower. Amazing!!!!! He was determined...so determined.....and he finished and did a great job. I was a wreck....but I worked in the garden beds and kept my eye on him. Mowing a yard seems like such a simple task....but for Richard, right now, it is huge!!!! Yipee!!!!!!

I think today was the finale to his wish list. My sister Barbara and her husband Don came up from Seattle and they took my Mom, Richard and I out to Hearthfire for lunch. Richard had been wanting fish-n-chips forever and today he had them....and he said they were absolutely delicious. We all shared strawberry shortcake for dessert. As I watched him carefully eat a piece of shortcake, with the perfect strawberry, topped with the rich, homemade whipped cream....well.....I think the look on his face looked like true bliss.....Oh...my man was so happy.

When we got home my other sister Jodee and her husband Richard were busy working in our yard...pulling our eternal pile of weeds. My Richard went and layed down and my Mom went home.....but the rest of us worked in our flower beds together. That was amazing!!!! Our yard looks so beautiful and we actually had a great time. My family has been so supportive through this journey. I am thankful for their love and compassion. They truly see what a special man Richard is......they want to help as much as they can and they've known exactly what to do. I love them so much.

Anyway....I think Richard has had his "happy list" met this weekend. His requests were simple....but he enjoyed every moment and I loved being with him.

As time away from his last chemo session gets longer he seems to feel better, stronger, less confused and rattled. This chemo and everything before the treatment seems to have left Richard with an extreme fatigue that is almost intolerable for him. He tries, desperately, to explain to me how he is feeling...."lead in my blood", "like I can't even lift my arm".... It must be horrible. I try to encourage him....and tell him that the chemo is doing exactly what it should be....it is taking all of his bodily energy and it is attacking the brain tumor with a vengence...his body is working so hard at the attacking that there just isn't anything left. His job is to listen to his body, imagine the attack and the hardest part....let go and let it happen. His patience is being tested. It is so hard for him because he is such a hard worker.....always busy....strong. To feel so badly at times is so difficult. I'm learning what being a warrior really means. RICHARD IS A WARRIOR!!!!

Late at night....when I can't sleep.....I think of all our friends, family and loved ones. I imagine each one of you as though you are little stars in my spirit...... I hold you all in my special thoughts and prayers.

Blessings,

Sherri

3 comments:

Trueda said...

Sherri,

What a beautifully written entry. All the wonderful "little" things you guys did this weekend sound marvelous and just what was needed. I'm glad Richard is feeling a bit stronger and less confused. I can just imagine him riding the lawn mower with a big smile "doing his stuff"!

hugs, love and prayers,
Trueda

Anonymous said...

Sherri, So glad to hear that your weekend was joyful. Sounds like you all got so much done. Richard mowing the lawn yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Remember One Step At A Time and One Day At A Time. Much love to you both, Michele

Judy Merrill-Smith said...

What an amazing gift, to be able to ask your beloved what would make him happy, and to be able to provide it with such love and tenderness. Inspiring!