Thursday, November 8, 2007

The Machine

I am feeling better this afternoon. I worked for 5 hours today which felt good, but a feeling of shakiness continued to follow me around for most of the day. Difficult to describe the feeling.. weak, tired, fuzzy... shaky. I went home at 1:30 and took a nap which helped a lot, then off to my daily encounter with The Machine. This is what I have come to call the radiation machine at the cancer center. It really is am amazing marvel of modern technology that is able to target a radiation beam of prescribed dose and density to an area within a millimeter to the inside of the body. I have also compared it to what it might be like to be captured by the BORG from the television program and movie, "Star Trek". I cannot see with the mask on, but can hear the Machine moving around my head with lots of buzzing, and whirring of micro motors, laser beams crossing my closed eyes, the smell of ionized air.. a very strange experience. I am thankful that the Machine is killing any residual cancer cells that may have been left behind in the area of inflammation around where the tumor was located. I was told though that the treatment would have cumulative side effects.. probably what I was feeling today.
Love to all!
Richard

1 comment:

Buteoj said...

Richard:
I imagine being captured by the BORG
machine is not a fun experience. I
remember the show where Captain Picard was captured and assimilated.
It frightened us, a strange and unwanted transformation. But we loved
him and wished him back to health...
So Richard we see you in the Captain's chair saying "make it so".
Love to you in this weird journey
you are making...Karen and Chris