Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Forty More Days and Counting!!!

Well.....here we are on the second evening of chemotherapy and radiation. Because of the clinical trial aspect of Richard's treatment the timing of the anti-nausea medication, eating, taking the medication and radiation need to be pretty exact. It is taking Richard and I, together, to be absolutely sure that we are following the schedule. But.......we are making it.

Yesterday morning we began the regime that ended with Richard's first radiation treatment. Betsey came and drove us, since Richard started taking compazine for nausea and we weren't sure how that was going to affect him. I think I was more nervous than Richard (which seems to often be the story through this entire experience). They took him back for his treatment and he came out about a 1/2 hour later smiling and happy. He said that he felt it a little (Wowzers....how horrible!!!), like a tickle inside his head. He also saw a flashing blue light which I guess is expected because the radiation beam stimulates the optic nerve. I can't imagine!

After we got home he preceded to get very nauseated and lethargic and spent the rest of the afternoon in bed. He felt and looked miserable. I did alot of pacing, moving from activity to activity, tried to be very quiet and played many games of Free Cell. I tried not to just stand over him and stare....that probably would have been defined as way neurotic! However, I really hated watching him suffer and I felt so helpless.

Today his radiation treatment went really well.....he felt nothing (Thank God). The radiation tech. (a young, tall, beautiful, blond woman whose name, I'm sure is Veronica Gorgeous Blond...no.... we can't remember her name, but anyway......) took me in to see the room and the HUGE machine that they use for the treatment. I tried to see it as a "healing apparatus", but in reality it looks very big and frightening. Richard, however, was all smiles and loved showing me how it works.

This afternoon has been another time of nausea and lethargy. He's actually throwing up today (oh my gosh!!! I really hate that for him) and is eating very little. (This may be way too much information for some of you...but it is our reality right now. Sorry if I gross anyone out.) I guess we have truly entered the chemotherapy zone. I was hoping we could avoid this part.

We've gone on-line to all the Brain Tumor groups we have each joined and have asked for help. We've gotten tons of advice. Tomorrow we see the radiation doctor and we'll see what he thinks. Also we can meet with the woman, Cheryl (our beautiful angel), who manages the clinical trial patients and maybe she can contact the oncologist and talk to him about some ways that will make Richard more comfortable.

So I've caught you all up. We have forty more days (phew!!!). Richard is strong and I trust the doctors so much.....I know we will get him to the point where he can tolerate the medications better. It's sososososo important that he keep taking the chemo.....it is our assurance that all those nasty glia cells will be taken care of for good. He continues to be absolutely amazing.....absolutely!!!!! I LOVE THIS MAN!!!!

Blessings...as always,

Sherri

2 comments:

michele said...

Richard and Sherri, Hi from Panora Iowa. So sad to hear that Richard is not tolerating the radiation/chemo regimen.It can be so difficult, but remember it is kicking the tumors behind. My husband John had intractable vomiting from the radiation treatments. He used Zofran (antiemetic),and Ativan,( antianxiety)they worked quite well together. He also received IV fluids periodically for dehydration. After we caught on we started scheduling his treatments late in the day so then he could come home and go to bed and sleep it off. It worked better that way. Just some input from a fellow radiation chemo warrior. We will keep you both close in thoughts and prayers. Strength Strength Strength going your way. Michele

Joanne said...

Sending many healing angel your way my dear friends!