Monday, October 29, 2007

It's been a long time!!!

We've had a very busy few days since we have last posted. On Thursday my two sisters, brother-in-law and Mom took Richard and I on a field trip to Bow, WA where we visited a dairy farm where they make delicious cheese. It was sosososo interesting! After that we went and had a delicious lunch at a cafe in Bow that we all love. The food was marvelous and it was wonderful to be with my family. They have been a constant source of support for us. Thank you to all!!

Friday we spent a wonderful day out at a friend of ours....Marge Forest. Marge is a magical person in my life....a wonderful potter whose work I collected for many years. After I quit working she began teaching me the craft of pottery. She has remained a precious friend of ours.
Richard has always talked about the possibility of his working in clay. The art has always intrigued him. I contacted Marge and asked her if she would be willing to spend some time with us....introducing Richad to clay. She, or course, opened her studio and her home and invited us out to her "haven" for the day. She made us lunch and then we spent some time in the studio. Richard is amazingly artistic and like many things....he sat down, listened for a few moments and preceded to create a beautiful "burnng bowl" that he wants to use for little ceremonial fires. It was awesome as I quietly watched his hands work and mold the clay. The piece he made was truly beautiful. I have found clay to be so healing. I hope that we can do more of this.

Friday night was a true night to remember. Richard is in love with the cult film "Dune" and he has found two friends who also love this classic (I am not included here.....when we first started dating Richard shared the movie Dune with me and I truly thought I wasn't going to make it through it....... I in turn, showed him my favorite film, "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas". I believe he was equally as horrified with my choice!!!!). Friday night he carefully planned a Dune Fest with his friends Jason (Emily's boyfriend) and Kevin (our Chemist friend, husband of my friend, Joanne). Joanne and I went out to dinner and made candles as the boys watched Dune and ate Dune related treats and pizza. Below is a picture of the Dune group (with Joanne). The worms are significant and related to the film. Hmmmmmmmm!!!

The highlights of our next two days was the time we spent with Emily, Dana and Jason. It feels important right now to gather our children very close to us and to spend quiet time with them talking, remembering and planning for our futures together. Richard is an amazing Father. Our children are amazing. All of us being together is incredibly special.

In anticipation of the chemotherapy and radiation, which is to begin this week, Richard has been talking about shaving his head (he had a difficult time imagining his hair with big clumps of hair falling out). All of us were hesitant to have him shave his head. Maybe we were frightened that he would look like a cancer patient....but he is a cancer patient....and it became obvious to me that doing this was an important step in acceptance for all of us. I suggested that he have Dana and Emily help him with this task and they indicated that they were up for it.

We all were pretty hesitant to begin the process but once we got going it became such a healing event. And Richard looks absolutely handsome with his new shaved hair. I can't believe how darling he is. Dana and Emily were so excited by how with every stripe it became clear that the essence of their "Dad" still remained and in some respects his looks even became more congruent with who he really is. It was a wonderful experience. (Thank God!!!!)



So...........our life is continuing as we deal with this new "blip" in our experience. I think both of us are dreading Richard's first dose of Temador and his initial radiation session. I feel anxious about him suufering with nausea and exhaustion and also can't imagine how scary it must be to face radiation. We have talked alot. I am so thankful for our ability to communicate and share with one another. That has made all of this so much easier. I love him sososo much.

Thank you, everyone for your kind thoughts and prayers. Your encouragement has meant so mcuh to us. You continue to be by our side as we move through this experience.

Blessings,

Sherri


4 comments:

Judy Merrill-Smith said...

Oh my gosh -- having your kids help shave your head! What a wonderful, comforting thing. Lovingly touching and caring for one another. Your family is shining a bright light through the darkness.

Deb's Artful Journey said...

Ooooh, I love bald men! I have one myself and think they are sooooo handsome!! :D

I have been thinking lots about you two as Richard begins his treatments this week! (Do you know about ginger... theres ginger beer too... for naseauness.)

Hugs,

Deb

Buteoj said...

Richard:
How fabulous. Chris and I are both
Dune fans, I am sorry we missed the
Worm!!! I once read a spoof on Dune,
a series called the Journey of McGill
Feighan (4 books) Last night on the
new spy comedy show "chuck" the main character and his best nerd friend went to the halloween party as the head and rump of the Worm...Imagine that...Much love and light to you!
Karen

RichRum said...

Sherri and Richard, it's so nice to be keeping up with your lives through your blog. You are both such good writers and it's fun to read and see all the pictures. I'm still thinking a lot of you two. Life is good for me, having lots of fun. You should check out our blog: richrum-jetfuelonly.blogspot.com.
I wish you the best of luck and send you my deepest sympathies for the treatments to come. I hope all goes well...Much love, Gretchen