Saturday, October 6, 2007

A quiet morning!

It's very quiet here this morning....I am learning to treasure these times when noise, activity, plans, to-do lists aren't part of our experience...but rather we just sit and rest in the moments together. I am learning to breathe deeply at these times, to open my heart and to just be silent (a task not easy for this hyperactive person). I am learning to stop and be present for Richard, for me and for us. And most important....I am learning to listen. Richard has so much to say, to share, to express....but as we walk on this journey I am learning that none of that can be accomplished unless I stop and listen with clear intention and openness.

Yesterday was a little rougher than the days before. Richard experienced more pain, swelling and uncomfortableness around his surgery site. He woke up with these complaints quite early in the morning and of course that sent me on a mission of high alert. In the late afternoon we saw our primary care physician and she conferred with the folks at Swedish. We will stop tapering his steroids, will give the pain meds. as needed and will watch him closely. We made an appointment to see Dr. Mayberg down at Swedish next Thursday and he will check Richard out, carefully, then. Thursday seems like a long time from today...but I'm beginning to accept that their sense of urgency and ours are very different. Gittel did remove his staples (amazing!!!) and that has helped Richard feel much more comfortable.

We did have some wonderful angels visit us yesterday. My really good friend, Cindy came over for tea and it was great seeing her. Emily stopped by with fabulous news about seeing a financial aide counselor at Whatcom (something we've wanted her to do for a long time) and shared with us her plans of returning to school. That made Richard and I very happy!!! She was also preparing for her Mom's50th birthday party. Richard was very ready to give her his cake decorating advice....and so she left us prepared to make the best birthday treats ever!!!

Later in the afternoon my older sister, Barbara, and her husband, Don, came to visit from Seattle. I love being with them so much. We don't get to see them very often and their time with us was quite a treat. After our doctors appointment we met them and my precious Mom at Anthony's for dinner. We had a celebration meal centering around the theme of "Good-bye Tumor". Richard was in heaven. He loves seafood and he literally moaned with pleasure as he ate every bite!!! Even with the medical tension hovering, he was able to enjoy a wonderful meal and good company to the fullest.

I put him to bed very early last night. He seemed so far away in his own world that I felt lonely and unsure of things as I walked away from our bedroom. Watching a loved one suffer, trying to comfort, assessing at all times his health status, hoping that I am doing things right... can be a daunting task. I know that I can't do much about this physical disease but I also know that through, love, compassion and dedication I can truly be part of Richard's emotional healing. I want to do that so badly.

I hope that everyone is continuing to enjoy this blog. We truly want to share this journey with you. Thank you for your continued thoughts and prayers. You are always in our hearts.

Blessings,

Sherri








No comments: